Oct 18, 2013

Special Ed Teacher: Why I Feel Uncomfortable Being Called a Saint

I have now been working as a Special Education Teacher in a sub-separate classroom for two months.  I am loving every second of my job; the good, the bad, and the ugly.  But as I've been talking with a variety of people about my job, the population of students I work with, and the challenges I face daily their response (both educator and non-educator alike) is, "Wow, you're a saint."

Really?!

While my daily routine and student challenges might not be the same as a high school math teacher, or a middle school art teacher, they are just the challenges that come with my job.  Every teacher faces challenges each day working with students regardless of the discipline.  As far as I'm concerned, a high school Math teacher is a saint for teaching Algebra 2 to students who would rather do ANYTHING else than learn math.  Or a high school music teacher who has a band or chorus class with 60+ high energy students whose sole raison d'ĂȘtre is to make noise! (really though, have you met band kids?)

I am not saying my job is easy, or that there aren't days where I, too, wonder how I made it through the day, but please withhold the canonization ceremony until you look at the other candidates, some of whom might be in your mirror every morning (I'm talking to you, fellow teachers).

-MB

No comments: