Nov 13, 2013

Managing Classroom Behavior... So Easy With ClassDojo



As a new teacher I'm all about learning - learning how to develop a curriculum, work with colleagues who've been doing the job for decades, learning the ins and outs of a public school, and of course how to be a good teacher.

Image - learningtales.wordpress.com
There are skills that all teachers need, but one that is most evident when it is missing is classroom management.  You can easily picture that classroom with students blowing spitballs, paper airplanes flying across the room and a group of kids in the back corner with their chairs tilted back talking about what they will do this weekend.  It's a teacher's worst nightmare (or at least the worst one I've had so far... but again, I'm new)!


Every teacher I've ever had or worked with has their own system and style for classroom management.  You've got your "I'll be your friend," easy going teacher; your "If I could use corporal punishment, I would" hardliner; your "so desperate to have these kids behave that I call the principal daily" pass-the-buck educator; and your average, middle of the road, "do your work and I'll try to let you have fun" educator.

In special education there is a particular need for structure in the classroom management style you choose; and student-based incentive is never a bad option for special ed or general ed.  Enter - ClassDojo.  This website (with linked iOS and Android apps) allows the teacher to create a set of classroom behaviors you WANT to see in addition to a set of behaviors you DON'T want to see.  Each student can create a profile with their own avatar (think Monster's Inc character...) and they can access it to see daily / weekly scores (percentages) of positive and negative behaviors.

This app, like all apps / programs, has its pros and cons.  Personally, for my sub-separate special ed classroom (6 students) it makes tracking and modifying student behaviors easy and fun (I have just as much fun using it as my students).  For a class of 25 - 30 it might be more cumbersome than productive.  The fun avatars can make or break this app for you depending on your students' ages.  For many high school students this might be considered a childish program (although I know some high school students who would find it very entertaining...).  My middle-school aged students would've spent 20 minutes of class-time designing their avatars if I'd let them.

Fun avatars can make or break this app depending on your students' ages
The most exciting behavior change I noticed within the first few days of using the app was an INCREASE in positive behaviors such as class participation and paying attention.  Students who would otherwise have been perfectly happy drifting through their own daydreams were attentive and begging to participate (worth 1 point each time they're called on in my setup) because they didn't want to fall behind in points.  Some of the students with negative behaviors are becoming more self-aware of the consequences of their actions, but it is MUCH easier to pick up a new good habit than to remove an old bad habit. (I look forward to updating this post in a few months!)

The best part of all is how easy it is to setup and use! I got my class setup in about 10 minutes and had the program fully implemented in my daily classroom routine by the second day of use.  If you have an existing classroom management style but want to spice it up a bit, this app is for you.  If your classroom management style isn't working at ALL, this app is for you (but it doesn't work miracles or run your classroom on its own... you do have to still be an effective teacher).  If nothing else, it's FREE so there's no risk to giving it a shot, you might be as pleasantly surprised as I was!

-MB

P.S. Found this app thanks to a good friend's husband.  It's one of his many good finds! (check out more HERE)

No comments: